Dominic James Keith StoreyBorn:
15 October 1989Place of Birth:
Auckland, New ZealandNationality:
Auckland, New Zealand
Dominic Storey is one of New Zealand's brightest young motor racing prospects and is on track to become the next big name in international motorsport. Dominic, with the full support of his family is on a path that can take him to the top of his chosen sport, Formula One.
At the age of nine Dominic and his family moved to the UK where he began his karting life. Over the next three years he travelled throughout the UK competing at national level in renowned championships, McLaren Mercedes Champions of the Future and British Super 1. In 2001 Dominic moved back to his home country New Zealand and continued to race karts at national level. Over the next five years Dominic won numerous national championships before making a move to car racing in 2006.
Single seater racing for Dominic began in early 2006 when he travelled to Bahrain and competed for a BMW Motorsport scholarship that saw three drivers earn a US$50,000 scholarship to compete in the Formula BMW Asia championship. Dominic convinced the BMW instructors he had the talent and ability and earned himself a scholarship to compete in the series in 2006. Dominic competed in the 6 round championship earning himself six podium finishes one being at the Shanghai Formula One Grand Prix where he also qualified on the front row in front of the Formula One paddock. This resulted in Dominic to be invited to test with British Formula 3 winning team Raikkonen Robertson Racing. Dominic completed a testing programme with the team in 2007 and gained valuable knowledge of Formula 3 cars.
In 2007 Dominic returned home to New Zealand and competed in the Toyota Racing Series. With a limited budget Dominic's results did not reflect his true ability as on many occasions he showed pace but car problems hindered his performances. In January Dominic was fortunate to have the services of German engineer Hagen Pischel and this saw some good results achieved, one being pole position and a new lap record at Taupo's A1GP event. .
In 2008 Dominic will showcase his talent by competing in the last four rounds of the International Formula Master championship so he can secure a seat with a top team for a full championship assault in 2009. HISTORY
- 1999: Began racing karts at age 9 in the United Kingdom
- 2000: Karting (Cadet), British Super 1 Championship and Champions of the Future
- 2001: Karting (Junior), New Zealand Championships – Many top results
- 2002: Karting (Junior), New Zealand Championships – Many top results
- 2003: Karting (Junior/JICA), New Zealand Championships – 1st place JICA/2nd Junior
- 2004: Karting (Junior/JICA), New Zealand Championships – 2nd Junior
- 2004: Bruce McLaren Scholarship Winner
- 2005: Karting (Junior/JICA), New Zealand Championships – 3rd place JICA/2nd Rotax Series
- 2006: Formula BMW Asia Scholarship Winner
- 2006: Formula BMW Asia Championship – 6 podiums including one at Shanghai F1GP
- 2007: Toyota Racing Series – Many top results including Pole position and Lap record at the A1GP event in Taupo and 4th place/Top rookie in the prestigious New Zealand Grand Prix